Thursday, September 11, 2008

Thursday, September 11

***Photo will be displayed as soon as Blogger will let me!***

September 11, 2001. I think anyone who was aware of what was going on that day will never forget how they heard the news. I was 1 month away from Alaina's due date and huge, and tired and ready to have that baby. I was running the preschool at the church we had attended since 1995. Ian was a kindergartener and had already started school, and I had Allison buckled in and was driving the long trip from Frisco to Garland for the preschool day. I was listening to Kidd Kraddick, as I usually did on the way there. I so preferred talking to music at that point, and they usually played little music in the mornings. He was interviewing some singer (I don't remember who). After the interview, he'd announced that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. . . a second plane. They'd been notified of the first crash during the interview and didn't interrupt it. I knew it wouldn't be a typical day at the preschool! I asked the teachers to not turn TVs on, so that children didn't see images of the destruction.

It wasn't until I'd left work, gotten Ian, then got home that I actually saw any footage. I think I watched the rest of that night (until 3-4 am), a good portion of the next day/night. Just watched the footage. I thought it was sad, so terribly sad. And I was, for the first time ever, worried about the world I was bringing children into. Worried that my children would never remember a pre-9/11 world. I, however, did not cry. I have always been initially stoic when hearing about a death. I do end up having a breakdown, eventually. You just never know how long it'll take. I worried for the survivors, for families looking for missing people, but I didn't cry. It took me a year before I brokedown. The first anniversary came and I cried -- I cried for parts of several days. The floodgates had broken. I don't think a September 11 has passed since that I haven't cried over something related to that day.

So, there was nothing else I could take a picture of today -- except something to remind me of that day 7 years ago. So, for that reason, today's picture is our home with our flag flying in memory of that day. My home and our country's flag, that so many have fought to protect.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home