Thursday 09.04.08
I remember quite well my first set of glasses. I don't think I was nearly as excited about it as either of my kids who've had glasses were. I think I was afraid of being made fun of or that I'd be somehow too different from everyone else. I don't know if that's because I was in middle school when I first wore glasses, or if kids' mindsets have just changed that much. I remember when Ian first got glasses (which he no longer wears -- he had therapeutic lenses), he looked at me and said "Won't they just gasp when they see me?" -- he was referring to 2 of his little kindergarten friends who had glasses already.
While Andy and I were in France, Mom took the 3 kids to the eye doctor for me. Andy's job is over at the end of September and I wanted to make sure everyone go into all the doctors before we had insurance issues. I kinda expected to be told Ian needed glasses, as both Andy and I had them by the time we were his age. His are 20/20. However, Allison was in need of glasses for the whiteboard/movies/etc. We went and picked them out the week before school started and just picked them up today. I totally let her get whatever (within financial reason) she liked -- she picked out these purple and blue glasses. She wore them all the way to dance, and I'm sure would've worn them to dance class if I hadn't told her she couldn't wear them dancing.
Maybe she likes them more than I ever did because they're so much more stylish these days.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home